The Retreat’s approach that it produces output entirely dependent on the unique, self-organising interaction of its attendees and the experiences and ideas we bring. It will be a true conference in that sense.
A critical success factor in this will be the degree to which we can generate a sense of Ba.
Remembering what we learned about Ba:
We, the work, and the knowledge are all one
- Dynamic interaction of individuals and organization in the form of a self-organizing team, the fuel of “ba” is its self-organizing nature
- Team members create new points of view and resolve contradictions through dialogue
- “Ba” is energized with intentions, vision, interest, and mission
- Leaders provide autonomy, variety, trust, and commitment
- Creative chaos via demanding performance goals
- The team is challenged to question every norm of development
- Equal access to information at all levels is critical
Nishida.1921, 1970 Hitotsubashi on Knowledge Management
—Takeuchi and Nonaka. 2004